Hi! So at this point you’ve probably heard of mascne (mask-acne) or maybe you’ve even experienced it yourself. You know those pesky little clogged pores, bumps, and pimples that seem to build up from wearing as mask. Today I’m going to be giving you some tips and products for mask acne! These are just whats been helping for me, and what I’ve learned along the way. This is definitely a newer issue that many people probably never would have even thought about! I mean, did any of us think we’d have to wear a face mask out in 2020? (By the way PLEASE wear your mask!)
*This post contains affiliate links where I can make a small commission. For my full policy click here.*
TIPS FOR MASCNE:
I’m going to start out with the tips and tricks that have been helping me! Here’s what I have figured out so far:
- DON’T PICK! This one is a given for anyone with acne, but if you haven’t experienced acne or breakouts before you might not know! Picking your skin can make the breakouts worse, they can scar and it can spread the bacteria.
- BRING A WIPE! Any wipe for your skin, you can leave a makeup wipe in the car (though they aren’t necessarily the best for skin or the environment) or a toner and some cotton pads. Anything you can use to give your skin a gentle wipe to remove some of the oil buildup on the skin! This helps me feel fresh when I take my mask off after having it on a while!
- WASH YOUR FACE! As soon as you get home, give your face a good wash. I recommend using an oil cleanser first to really break down and melt away any oil and bacteria on the surface. Follow up with a foaming cleanser if need be or if you had any makeup on.
- GO MAKEUP FREE! Skip on the makeup, especially where the mask is! If you want to do some brows or eye makeup, go for it! But skip on the complexion products while you have a mask on.
- WEAR A SPOT TREATMENT OR PIMPLE PATCH! Lately I have been keeping a spot treatment or patch on under my mask so I can leave it on all day. It helps me avoid picking, and it helps the mask not rub and spread a breakout. Why not heal a pimple during the day? I’ll get more into which one I like in the products for mask acne section!
- KEEP YOUR MASK CLEAN! You can use disposable masks, and wear a new one every time you take it off. This works, but maybe isn’t the best for the environment especially because masks don’t seem to be going anywhere for a while. If you opt for a reusable mask, make sure you wash it frequently enough!
- WASH HANDS OFTEN! Something we should be doing anyways, but try your HARDEST not to touch your face with dirty hands. Thats a recipe for spreading oil and bacteria around and possibly even irritating your skin more.
PRODUCTS FOR MASK ACNE:
- EXFOLIATE! Exfoliation is key! I have linked below the best exfoliating products for mask acne, but my skin has been way more textured since wearing a mask. Exfoliation helps with that texture a lot! You can go with a traditional scrub which is a physical exfoliant, or opt for a chemical exfoliant (with AHAs)!
- GO FOR A LIGHTWEIGHT MOISTURIZER! If your skin is getting more oily with the hot weather and a mask on, you can opt for a lighter weight moisturizer. Even trying an oil free one or a mattifying one may help!
- OPT FOR A HEAVIER CREAM! This may seem like it contradicts my last point, but really you have to try it to see which works for you. When picking a heavier cream, I recommend picking something meant to help the barrier of your skin. This will add a thin layer to protect and cover the skin. This can help if you skin gets irritated from the mask! You can even use a sleeping mask for this!
- CHEMICAL EXFOLIATION! Another type of product for mask acne is AHAs and BHAs. It’s important not to over exfoliate, so tread lightly when adding exfoliation into your routine. Start with just a few times a week, and work your way up to daily or every other day depending on how your skin reacts.
- USE A CLAY MASK! You can use a clay mask once a week to help draw oil out of the pores. My skin always feels so greasy and clogged after wearing a mask through my shift at work a clay mask is a great option!
- LIP SCRUB! This one isn’t for acne, but I wanted to add it anyways. My lips get so dry and cakey feeling after being in the mask for a while, so lip scrub is a must!
I will have quite a few products down below that I have tried and loved. Here is a list of my top favourite/ most recent pick for each type of product mentioned! All will be pictured in the shoppable links below! For other beauty recommendations, check out my summer beauty must haves here.
- OIL CLEANSER PICK: Farmacy green clean
- FOAMING CLEANSER PICK: SKYN Iceland Glacial face wash
- TONER/ PEEL PAD: SKYN Iceland Nordic Skin Peel
- SCRUB: Fresh Sugar Strawberry face wash
- AHA SERUM: Drunk Elephant TLC Glycolic Serum
- LIGHTWEIGHT CREAM: Farmacy Daily greens oil free moisturizer
- HEAVIER CREAM: Sephora Collection AHA firming sleeping cream
- SPOT TREATMENT: MURAD 2% BHA spot treatment gel
- PIMPLE PATCH: COSRX pimple patch (Amazon find)
- MASK: Ole Henriksen Cold Plunge Pore Mask